Today, as the results days for GCSE and A Level are looming, i thought i’d share a list of things i wish i’d know about before i went to university:
- Working hard to get a 1st or a 2:1 at the end of your degree is infinitely better. A 2:2 means your CV is more likely to be ignored by picky employers (but it’s not the end of the world if you do get a 2:2).
- If you can get a part-time job while at uni, do it. Experience, money, something to do, etc.
- Knowing what you want to do after studying is useful. If not, do lots of research before and during your degree so you know all your options.
- Get as much experience in your field as you can, even if it’s unpaid. Experience is the only thing that will stop you getting a job later.
- Budgeting is essential – put enough aside to get you through the months comfortably, and put any excess into savings.
- Networking is very important.
- If you do English, make sure you do more activities outside your studies to be a more rounded individual.
- If you do a Masters, make sure you make the most of doing work experience during it.
- Have fun! If you need a break, take it!
( In reference to #1, look at the following Guardian article: What-students-do-if-their-grades-are-low?)