The Harry Potter series is great because of the following reasons:
- It shows you what real friends are like – Ron and Hermione could have just stayed at home but they put everything into helping Harry destroy Voldemort and his cronies.
- Even the most seemingly perfect genius has flaws and a past they are ashamed of – Dumbledore isn’t as black and white by Book 7 as you thought back in Book 1.
- Voldemort is a perfect example of what a lack of trust, love, friendship and understanding can turn a person into.
- Even those people who cause you harm deserve your compassion sometimes – Draco Malfoy was used by Voldemort to hurt people but Harry still saved his life (twice) in Book 7.
- The person who no-one thought would amount to anything eventually becomes a hero in their own right – Neville Longbottom starts in Book 1 as a forgetful boy who keeps losing his toad and struggles with magic, but by Book 7 he has fought Death Eaters, mastered his magical skills, and kills Voldemort’s pet snake Nagini. And then becomes a Professor at Hogwarts in later life!
- The love of your life can be right under your nose the whole time – Hermione and Ron: one of the greatest romance stories of all time?
- Sometimes the most unpleasant character can be the hero of the story – Professor Snape: Not so evil and cowardly as we first thought!
- It’s really not worth avoiding death by making Horcruxes, stealing the Philosopher’s Stone or drinking Unicorn blood!
- “To the well-organised mind, Death is but the next great adventure” as Albus Dumbledore says.