This section is dedicated to translated fiction titles, as my Masters dissertation was on why there is such an appallingly tiny percentage of translated titles in the book industry! Translated fiction is just as good as native fiction, and sometimes is better because its set in a different culture and written from a different point of view. They can be refreshing to read, and there are many excellent titles out there waiting!
The obvious bestseller is The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson, but there are many other books which only a handful of people have heard or or even read yet, all just waiting for their big break!
I intend to keep my reading shelf as varied as possible and lately i’ve taken to making sure i add in some translated titles when i buy new books! You’ll notice that there’s a fair few Scandinavian titles here but that’s just the current translation market, and my parent’s influence because they read Scandinavian crime!
These are the translations which i have read so far (and my reviews of them):
- “The Reader” by Bernhard Schlink (German) - Read about “The Reader”
- “The Finno-Ugrian Vampire” by Noémi Szécsi (Hungarian) - Read about “The Finno-Ugrian Vampire”
- “Zeina” by Nawal el Saadawi (Arabic) - Read about “Zeina”
- “Delicacy” by David Foenkinos (French) - Read about “Delicacy”
- “New Finnish Grammar” by Diego Marani (Italian) - Read about “New Finnish Grammar”
- “The Elegance of the Hedgehog” by Muriel Barbery (French) - Read about “The Elegance of the Hedgehog”
- “Harbour” by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Swedish) - Read about “Harbour”
- The Unit – Ninni Holmqvist(Swedish) - Read about “The Unit”
- Handling The Undead – John Ajvide Lindqvist (Swedish) - Read about “Handling The Undead”
- Little Star - John Ajvide Lindqvist (Swedish) - Read about “Little Star”
- At the Edge of Light – Maria Peura (Finnish) - Read about “At the Edge of Light”
- Love Virtually - Daniel Glattauer (German) - Read about “Love Virtually”
- Missing - Karin Alvtegen (Swedish) - Read about “Missing”
- Let the Right One in - John Ajvide Lindqvist (Swedish - Read about “Let the Right One in”
- The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest – Stieg Larsson (Swedish) - Read about “Millennium Bk3″
- The Girl who Played with Fire – Stieg Larsson (Swedish) - Read about “Millennium Bk2″
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Stieg Larsson (Swedish) - Read about “Millennium Bk1″
Also, if you are interested in any of my translation related blog posts, just click on “Translation”